Website Active Recruitment
Job title: School Youth Mentor
Setting: Mainstream Secondary School
Pay: £90.00 – £100.00
Start date: Immediate Effect
Duration: Long term with view to go perm
Active Recruitment are currently working closely with a Mainstream Secondary School in Dagenham, who are seeking an experienced youth Mentor to join them with immediate effect on a temp to perm basis. This fantastic School requires a mentor to provide group-based support to learners who have been removed from mainstream classes.
You will be providing specialist support to pupils in both key stage 3 and 4 where behaviour and attendance issues are a cause for concern. You will be reporting the schools SENCO/ Inclusion Lead providing detailed daily feedback and learning progress reports.
Duties and Responsibility:
- Developing and using strategies to manage and support pupils with challenging behaviour.
- To develop a 1:1 mentoring relationship with identified students.
- To draw up agreed action plans with students outlining the aims of the mentoring.
- Working alongside teachers and support staff to promote the effective use of behaviour management strategies.
- To support with the liaison with parents regarding behaviour incidents.
- To offer support and assistance to the Assistant Head.
- To support with the supervision of students not in lessons
- Working directly with individuals or groups to raise self-esteem and confidence of pupils with a view to improving their personal and social skills.
- Monitoring progress in improving behaviour and maintaining improvements once made.
- To act as a motivator, role model and advocate for young people.
- To liaise with the SENCo and outside agencies as appropriate.
- Previous experience inspiring and motivating pupils who display challenging behaviour
- Additional Qualifications related to children (Highly desirable)
- Available to commit to a full-time, long-term position
- Secondary aged support experience (not necessarily within a school)
- Calm, patient and caring approach to working with children
- Confident in your approach and able to deliver effective interventions
The successful candidate must have an Enhanced DBS on the Update Service before starting this role.
Active Recruitment LTD is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All applicants are subject to a satisfactory enhanced check by the Disclosure and Barring Service (previously the Criminal Records Bureau) and at least two independent references. We are an Equal Opportunities employer.